Ever had that moment when you’re setting the mood with dim lighting, and your Kasa bulb decides to throw a mini disco by flickering? Yep, we’ve been there too.
So, what’s causing this unscheduled light show? After much research and trying to find out why a Kasa Bulb keeps flickering or blinking, we have put together a troubleshooting guide for you.
We’ll also explore some tips and tricks that can help you prevent your Kasa Bulb from acting this way in the future. Read on and find out!
- Flickering in Kasa bulbs can be caused by Wi-Fi connectivity issues, electrical inconsistencies, and interferences from other devices.
- Weak Wi-Fi signals can be improved by repositioning the bulb closer to the router or using Wi-Fi extenders.
- Electrical issues like a loose bulb connection or incompatible dimmer switches can also lead to flickering; consider consulting an electrician for persistent issues.
- Keep your Kasa app and the bulb’s firmware updated to ensure optimal performance and potentially fix flickering.
- If all else fails and the bulb still flickers, you may have a faulty unit and should contact Kasa Customer Support for assistance.
Why Does My Kasa Bulb Keep Flickering?
Your Kasa Bulb may keep flickering due to connectivity issues with the Wi-Fi or between the Kasa app and your bulb. Electrical inconsistencies, Kasa app issues, and interferences from other devices can also cause this issue.
Below, we have expanded on each issue and provided actionable solutions to stop and prevent your Kasa bulb from flickering or blinking.
Unraveling the Kasa Bulb Flicker Mystery: Causes and Fixes
When your Kasa bulb is flickering, try refreshing and decluttering your Wi-Fi network or reboot the router. Alternatively, make sure your Kasa Bulb is placed securely in the holder and make sure your dimmer switch is working properly.
Let’s explore in detail how you can troubleshoot and fix your flickering Kasa Bulb.
1. Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues
Your Kasa Smart Bulb, like many smart devices, relies heavily on a stable internet connection to function optimally. So, Wi-Fi connectivity issues can lead to various problems– including bulb flickering.
Let’s explore these issues and their solutions in detail:
Weak Wi-Fi Signal
A Kasa bulb requires a consistent Wi-Fi signal to operate smoothly. If the bulb is placed too far from the router or has physical obstructions, the signal might weaken, leading to intermittent connectivity and flickering.
Here are a few things you can do to prevent a weak Wi-Fi signal from causing flickering issues in your Kasa bulb:
- Repositioning: Your Kasa bulb may be too far from your router, unable to catch the Wi-Fi signal correctly. For better Wi-Fi signal reception, place your router or bulb closer to each other.
- Wi-Fi Extenders: These devices can amplify the Wi-Fi signal, ensuring the bulb receives a consistent connection. So, in case you can’t reposition your Kasa bulb or router, you should invest in a Wi-Fi extender.
- Mesh Networks: Consider upgrading to a mesh Wi-Fi system, which provides uniform coverage throughout the home. And even though a mesh network is more expensive, it replaces both router and Wi-Fi extenders.
Routers can handle only a limited number of devices. If too many devices are connected to it simultaneously, the router might struggle to maintain stable connections. As a result, this can cause WiFi-dependent devices to glitch, like your Kasa bulb.
Here are a few things you can do to counter router overload causing Kasa bulb issues:
- Device Management: Decluttering your Wi-Fi network is the quickest way of effectively unloading your router. So, disconnect unused devices from the Wi-Fi and make it a habit to ensure optimal Wi-Fi performance.
- Router Upgrade: If you have not upgraded your router in a long time, maybe it’s time to do so now. Invest in a more powerful router designed to handle more simultaneous connections.
- Dedicated Network: You can also create a separate Wi-Fi network solely for smart devices to ensure they get priority.
2. Connectivity Issues Between the Kasa Bulb and App
The Kasa app is like a remote control for all your Kasa devices, including the bulb. If there is miscommunication between the two, your Kasa devices can act out. Let’s take a look at what specific reasons may cause the issue and how to fix them.
If you are trying to set up your Kasa Bulb and find it pulsing in a pattern, it might be in ‘pairing mode’. This means your Kasa Bulb hasn’t paired with your Kasa app properly and is still not connected to the internet. So, make sure your bulb is connected to the internet and check its status in the Kasa app.
Here’s how to properly pair your Kasa Bulb with your phone via the Kasa app:
- Install the Kasa app from the Google Play Store or App Store.
- Launch the app and tap the + icon on the top right.
- Now, tap Device > Smart Lights.
- Select your Kasa Smart Bulb model and follow the on-screen instructions to properly configure your Kasa bulb.
App-to-Bulb Communication Breakdown
The Kasa app communicates with the bulb to control its operations. If there’s a glitch or delay in this communication, it might result in the bulb flickering. But you can easily counter this issue by:
- Updating the App: Make sure that you’re using the latest version of the Kasa app. Developers regularly release updates to fix bugs and improve performance. (Find how to update the Kasa app in the ‘Kasa App Issues’ section below.)
- Re-pairing: Disconnect the bulb from the app and then reconnect it following the setup and configuration steps given above. This will refresh the communication link and most likely fix the blinking issue.
The bulb’s firmware and the app need to be in sync for optimal performance. If the bulb’s firmware is outdated, it might not sync well with the latest version of the app, leading to flickering. To fix this issue, you can:
- Update the Kasa app as explained later in this post, or roll back to a previous version of the app if the flickering issues start after the new update.
- Alternatively, update the firmware of your Bulb.
Here’s how to update Kasa Bulb Firmware:
- Open the Kasa app.
- Navigate to the bottom right corner and tap Me > Firmware Update.
- If a new firmware version is available, start your Kasa bulb firmware update.
- Do not turn off the bulb or exit the app while the firmware update is in process.
- After the bulb is done updating, restart it by turning it off and on.
Mobile Device Interference
Other apps or device settings on your mobile device might interfere with the Kasa app’s operation. Here are a couple of ways to deal with this issue:
- Close Background Apps: Get rid of unnecessary apps running in the background.
- Device Restart: Occasionally, simply restarting your mobile device can resolve minor connectivity glitches like this.
3. Electrical Inconsistencies
Certain electrical irregularities like improper installation of the bulb, faulty socket, dimmer switch issues, and breaker overload can make your Smart Bulb act erratically. In this section, we explore these potential causes and their fixes in detail.
Basic Connection Issues:
Sometimes, the simplest reasons can be the cause. For example, a bulb that isn’t securely screwed in or a worn-out socket can lead to flickering.
To address these basic connection issues:
- Ensure the Bulb is Secure: Make sure the bulb is snugly screwed in. A loose connection can disrupt the consistent flow of electricity, causing the bulb to flicker.
- Test in a Different Socket: If you suspect the socket might be the issue, try the bulb in a different socket to see if the problem persists.
- Consult an Electrician: If the flickering continues despite trying the above steps, it might be time to call in a professional electrician to inspect the connections and the overall electrical setup.
Dimmer Switch Conflicts:
Traditional dimmer switches aren’t always compatible with modern smart bulbs like Kasa. They can introduce fluctuations in the power supply, leading to flickering.
Here’s what you can do to counter dimmer switch issues:
- Adjust to Full Power: If you’re using a dimmer switch, make sure it’s set to full power when using the Kasa bulb.
- Switch Replacement: Consider replacing the traditional dimmer switch with a standard switch or a smart button that’s compatible with Kasa bulbs. This can provide a more consistent power supply to the bulb.
An overloaded breaker can cause inconsistencies in the power supply. If other devices on the same breaker intensify the flickering, it’s a sign that the breaker might be handling more than it can manage.
To unload your breaker, here are a few things you can do:
- Redistribute Devices: Consider moving some devices to a different breaker to balance the load.
- Consult an Electrician: If you’re unsure about the load on your breakers or how to redistribute devices, it’s a good idea to consult an electrician. They can provide insights into the electrical setup and suggest solutions.
4. Kasa App Issues
The Kasa Smart app is the primary interface for controlling and managing Kasa smart bulbs. While it’s designed to provide seamless control, there can be instances where issues within the app can lead to bulb flickering. Let’s delve into the potential problems and their solutions.
Outdated App Version:
An outdated version of the Kasa app might not be fully compatible with the latest firmware of the bulb or might have unresolved bugs.
Here’s how to update your Kasa app:
- Open Google Play Store > tap the profile icon (with your photo) at the top-right corner > tap Manage apps and device.
- Now, under the Updates section, select Update all to update all the installed apps that have any new updates available.
- Or else, tap See details, find the Kasa app, and update it.
- Navigate to the Apple App Store > your Profile icon (located on the top right).
- Find the Kasa app in the list of installed apps.
- Tap the Update button next to the Kasa app if you see one.
- But if you see the Open option instead, it means your Kasa app is already up to date.
If the bulb settings within the app are not configured correctly, it might lead to erratic behavior, including flickering. To make sure your Kasa bulk is configured properly:
- Review Settings: Open the Kasa app and review the settings for the specific bulb. Ensure that features like brightness, color temperature, and scenes are set correctly.
- Reset to Default: If you’re unsure about the configurations, simply reset the bulb settings to default within the app and reconfigure.
App Cache Issues:
App cache is originally supposed to improve your experience on the app. However, over time, this cache might accumulate outdated (and even corrupted) data that can cause performance issues or conflicts. Here’s what you can do to get rid of the Kasa app cache:
For Android devices:
- Open Settings and navigate to Apps.
- Select the Kasa app from the list of apps (you may have to scroll a little).
- Tap Storage.
- Lastly, select Clear Cache to remove all Kasa app cache.
While there is no direct way to get rid of the app cache in an iPhone, you can simply uninstall and reinstall the app, which is an effective way to clear the cache.
5. Interference from Other Devices
Many times, interferences from other devices can cause issues with your Kasa Bulb. Here’s a deeper look a the issue:
Baby Monitors and Frequency Clashes:
Baby monitors operate on certain frequencies that can sometimes overlap with those of other electronic devices, causing interference. To address Baby Monitor interference:
- Distance the Devices: Keep the baby monitor and the Kasa bulb in separate rooms or at least at a considerable distance from each other.
- Switch Channels: If your baby monitor allows, switch to a different channel to reduce potential frequency clashes.
Bluetooth Devices and Signal Disruption:
Bluetooth devices, such as speakers or headphones, can emit signals that interfere with the Kasa bulb, especially if they’re in close proximity. Here is how to counter potential Bluetooth Device interference:
- Turn Off Unused Devices: If you’re not using a Bluetooth device, it’s best to turn it off to prevent unnecessary signal emissions.
- Pairing Mode: Make sure that Bluetooth devices are not perpetually in pairing mode, as this can amplify the signals they emit– potentially causing interference in Kasa Bulb connections.
Why My Kasa Bulb is Still Flickering?
Despite trying all the solutions given above, if your Kasa Bulb is still flickering, then you may have a faulty unit. For this, you might want to reach out to Kasa Customer Support at email@example.com or https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/.
Can a weak Wi-Fi signal cause my Kasa bulb to flicker?
Yes, a weak Wi-Fi signal can indeed interfere with your Kasa bulb’s performance. If the bulb is too far from the router or there are obstructions, it might not receive a consistent signal, leading to potential flickering. Always ensure your bulb is optimally positioned within the router’s effective range.
Is it safe to use a flickering Kasa bulb?
While a Kasa bulb that flickers occasionally might not pose immediate harm, continuous flickering can be bothersome and strain your eyes over time. It’s not just about safety, it’s also about comfort. If your bulb flickers persistently, it’s wise to investigate and resolve the underlying cause.
Do I need a professional to fix the flickering?
For minor issues, you can often troubleshoot the flickering yourself using the Kasa app or basic checks. However, if the flickering continues despite your efforts, or if you suspect electrical complications, it’s always a good idea to bring in a professional electrician to ensure safety and effectiveness.
Could my home’s voltage affect the bulb?
Yes, your home’s voltage can certainly affect your Kasa bulb. Voltage fluctuations can directly impact the Kasa bulb, causing it to flicker. If you notice other appliances acting up along with your bulb, consider investing in a voltage stabilizer to maintain a steady power supply.
How often should I update the bulb’s firmware?
Staying updated is key! Regular firmware updates ensure your Kasa bulb operates smoothly and remains compatible with the latest app features. It’s a good practice to check for firmware updates at least once a month. An updated bulb is more likely to be flicker-free and efficient.
Flickering Kasa bulbs can be a nuisance, but with the right knowledge and approach, it’s a solvable issue. We hope this guide illuminates the path to a steady and consistent glow in your home. Remember, when in doubt, always consult an expert.