If you are anything like the average American, you may have a smart home device around your home. Daylight Savings Time is around the corner, so is your gadget ready for it?
When the time changes in the wee hours on a Friday evening, it may throw your Switchbot off its schedule a bit. Still, this does not have to happen, since the SwitchBot App should automatically adjust for daylight savings.
By the end of this guide, you will know exactly what is going on and get simple troubleshooting solutions to resolve this issue.
- Your SwitchBot should stay on schedule by springing forward automatically during Daylight Savings Time.
- However, if the device is not automatically updating time with the shift in Daylight Savings Time, then this feature isn’t working as it should.
- If this occurs, it may be attributed to issues with the device itself, outdated firmware, network difficulties, or software bugs.
- To fix this problem, you can try updating the firmware, troubleshooting the network, or reinstalling the app.
Why Is SwitchBot Not Supporting Daylight Savings Time Properly
SwitchBot may not support Daylight Savings Time (DST) properly because the device has an issue, is running outdated firmware, or there’s a problem with the SwitchBot App. It could also be due to network problems or software bugs.
Usually, SwitchBot has a daily schedule that it follows throughout the day. In case you’ve created a routine for SwitchBot to turn off automatically at 8 o’clock, it will do that at the appointed time.
This means that when all the clocks are set to run an hour later, the SwitchBot should turn off automatically at 9 o’clock instead of 8 o’clock. However, sometimes SwitchBot might miss such important time adjustments during DST.
Let’s look at the reasons why your SwitchBot could be behaving this way:
- Outdated Firmware: If the SwitchBot’s firmware is outdated, you might encounter some operational issues.
- Device Issue: A power malfunction or hardware problems with the SwitchBot device could interfere with its programming, preventing its proper schedule.
- App Issue: Potential problems with the app could be making the SwitchBot not adhere to the time updates.
- Network Problem: SwitchBot manufacturers widely report that internet or network issues can affect the device performance.
- Calibration Issues: Programming errors may occur when the device is not well calibrated. But these issues are not that serious compared to those listed above.
SwitchBot Not Supporting Daylight Savings Time Properly: 9 Possible Fixes
Let’s look more closely at some fixes to help solve this problem.
1. Hard Reset the Device
Perhaps the issue could be due to a temporary glitch with your SwitchBot software. Before you try any other fix, try a hard reset on your SwitchBot device. Contrary to the casual SwitchBot restart, this is a more in-depth way to reboot your device.
To hard reset your SwitchBot device, here’s what you need to do:
- Start by switching off the device using the power button or the app.
- Next, unplug the SwitchBot from the power source.
- Wait a few minutes, then plug it back in.
- See if the issue resolves.
2. Adjust Time
Initially, time had to be adjusted manually for Daylight Savings Time. However, cellular data and the internet made it easy for SwitchBot devices to automatically adjust the time.
Most of these devices should come with the setting on by default. But if you can’t find the option in the SwitchBot settings, this means the device does not have automatic switching. Therefore, you have to manually adjust your schedule timer to fit the new hours.
3. Reset SwitchBot Schedules
If the SwitchBot does not follow your rules due to the DST changes, you might have to reset the schedules. This is quite easy. All you have to do is erase the previous rules, create new ones, and then the new schedule will execute at your preferred time.
- For you to delete a set schedule, click on the “⋮” icon on the top right corner.
- Creating the rules shouldn’t take much of your time. However, you should ensure you have access to the latest SwitchBot App.
- Once you have it, click on the appropriate Bot from the list, select “Schedule” and tap “Add”.
- Now, choose your desired time, frequency, and action and save to create your rule.
You can create a single schedule and wait to see if the SwitchBot will execute it. If it works well, go ahead and create the other schedules.
4. Update the Firmware Version
Running your app on obsolete software could lead to several operational problems. This is why you need to update the SwitchBot App to clear all bugs and errors that might have accumulated.
You can update the app’s firmware directly through the SwitchBot App.
- Simply open the app, click “All Devices” and select the device.
- Now, choose the gear icon to open the “Settings” screen and tap the “Firmware & Battery” option.
- Once you are here, click Update to update the device software.
- Keep in mind that you can not update the system remotely. Therefore, ensure your phone is close to the device when performing an update.
5. Replace the Battery
Your SwitchBot may have a low battery level, making it difficult to update time on the device. Manufacturers recommend using Panasonic batteries and discourage rechargeable batteries due to their unstable voltage. Just ensure you replace the batteries in time when necessary.
6. Troubleshoot Network
The internet and network connectivity issues could lead to your SwitchBot not supporting Daylight Savings Time. For instance, an interrupted network connection could prevent the time from updating on the device’s app.
For this reason, ensure you have a reliable connection, especially when saving your schedules. See that the connection is stable and all your cables are in good condition.
7. Reinstall the App
In case the network wasn’t the issue after all, then perhaps uninstalling the SwitchBot App would help. You should know that uninstalling the app erases all the credentials and schedules and removes any bugs and errors that might have accumulated.
- To uninstall the SwitchBot App, go to your homepage and long-press the application.
- Follow the directions provided on-screen, and uninstall the app.
- Once you’ve uninstalled the app, open either the App Store or Play Store, depending on the OS of your device, search SwitchBot, and download the app.
- Enter your login credentials and create your rules and schedules.
- This should work, but if it doesn’t, try our next solution.
8. Use Alexa to Your Advantage
Alexa is a great piece of technology that can help your SwitchBot adjust to Daylight Savings. It uses the internet’s time, making it easy to automatically adjust time on every device connected to it.
To add your Amazon Alexa account to the SwitchBot App:
- Start by logging into your Amazon Alexa account within the Alexa application.
- After that, access the SwitchBot App, whose cloud service is active.
- Select the Cloud Service option and proceed to choose Amazon Alexa from the available options.
- Now, go to your Amazon Alexa account and set up your SwitchBot device. It’s that easy!
9. Reset SwitchBot
If none of the fixes above have worked so far, then it is time to reset the SwitchBot. This will remove any bugs, errors, and pent-up charges from the device. However, it is worth noting that resetting will remove all settings, timers, action modes, schedules, and passwords.
Resetting SwitchBot would require you to open the device cover from the front and short-press the button in the corner just once. After that, close back the cover to finish the reset process.
Note: Do not hold the reset button for too long while short-pressing it. Holding this button longer will open the device firmware recovery mode, and you’ll not be able to proceed with the reset process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is My Switchbot Not Working?
SwitchBot may not work if it hasn’t been used for more than 6 months or if it’s out of battery. The Bot loses connectivity once the battery dies, and hence, it is always advisable to check whether the battery power is above 50%. If the power runs low, replace them with CR2 3V batteries to keep the system active.
Why Is My Switchbot Curtain Schedule Not Working?
The schedule may not work if the battery level is low. This is why you should replace the battery frequently.
Additionally, a more effective approach is automatically scheduling your curtains to open and close according to your preferred times. Consider adjusting the time once a week if you are using only Bluetooth.
How Do I Update Switchbot Firmware?
You can update the SwitchBot’s firmware through the SwitchBot App. Simply open the app and click on “All Devices” and select the device.
After that, tap the gear icon to open the Settings screen and tap the “Firmware & Battery” option. Once you are here, click “Update” to update the device software.
Can SwitchBot Work Without Internet?
Currently, the SwitchBot products rely on WiFi for communication, which means they require the internet in order to function correctly. Features such as Scenes, Schedules, and Automations are only available when connected to WiFi.
Now that you know why SwitchBot is not supporting Daylight Savings Time properly, our effective solutions should assist you in resolving the issue without any hassle. Hopefully, you will not have to deal with several errors, and adjusting the unit will be easy.
If you’ve followed the steps mentioned earlier and the schedule is still not functioning, here’s what to do. Kindly access the SwitchBot App, navigate to your profile, and submit your feedback. The customer support will then contact you with further assistance.