The Kasa Camera offers users an impressive set of features, like capturing high-quality video and allowing two-way communications through its built-in microphone.
However, some users may only want to broadcast video only. So, how do you turn off the microphone on a Kasa camera?
Here’s what you need to do:
- Turn off the microphone on a Kasa camera through the Kasa smart app or software
- Physically disconnect the microphone from the device if necessary
- Consider consulting your dealer or an experienced TV or radio technician for assistance
In this article, we’ll look more closely at turning the microphone off on a Kasa Camera.
How to Turn the Microphone Off on a Kasa Camera
To turn off the microphone on a Kasa camera, launch your Kasa Smart app, and locate your Kasa Cam. On the top right, you’ll see the “Device Settings” menu—tap on this menu. After that, go to “Privacy and Sensitivity” and select “Record Video Only”.
In some cases, the Kasa smart app cannot turn off the live audio. It may not be possible to disable the sound via the app or software. Therefore, you may have to locate the microphone in the hardware and disconnect it physically. This option is only viable when recommended by your service provider and should be your last alternative.
How to Turn Off the Kasa Camera Via Smart App
Disabling the microphone on the Kasa camera depends on the operating system and the device you use. However, the general steps are similar across different operating systems and devices, as shown below:
1. Open Your Kasa Smart App
- Start by launching the Kasa app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Note that the Kasa smart camera only works with an internet connection. So, ensure you connect to the same Wi-Fi network as your Kasa camera.
2. Access Your Camera
- While in the app, select the camera from your “Cameras” list to access its settings.
- Make sure your Kasa camera is on when making the changes.
3. Locate Audio Settings
- To find the audio settings, open the Device Settings menu.
- Once you open the Device Settings menu, scroll down.
- Check for the audio or microphone settings within the device settings menu.
- It is important to note that the exact location of the audio settings may vary depending on the version of the app or the camera model.
4. Turn Off the Microphone
- To turn off the audio, select Privacy and Sensitivity from the Device Settings.
- Then, at the top of the list, you will see three options, one of which is “Record Video Only.”
- Select “Record Video Only” from the three options to stop recording audio; the microphone will turn off immediately.
- On other devices, you will see a “Record Audio” within the Device Settings menu.
- It has an on/off switch or a checkbox to disable it. For such cases, toggle the switch to turn off “Record Audio”.
Please note that your choice to stop the audio or video recording does not cancel your existing subscription plan.
5. Do Not Forget to Save Your Settings
Once you’ve finished turning off the microphone, remember to save your settings before you exit the camera settings menu. The changes take effect immediately when you save the settings.
Please note that even though turning off your microphone provides security and privacy, it may limit some features or apps on your Kasa device. Some apps may still access your microphone even when it is disabled. Therefore, it is important to be cautious of the apps you use.
How to Physically Turn off the Microphone on a Kasa Camera
If your Kasa cam continues recording despite turning it off via the app or software, you may have to disconnect it physically from the hardware.
Here is how to physically disconnect the microphone from the device.
A small screwdriver
1. Open the Face
- Using the screwdriver, carefully open the seam of your Kasa camera—the seam is where the white body and black face meet.
- It is best to open the face from the right side when facing the front part of the camera
- After opening the face, you will notice that the microphone is glued to the back of the black face.
- The built-in mic is usually located near the lens. You will also see a cable running from the board on the camera body to the face of the camera.
2. Unplug the Mic Cable
- Gently pull the plug out of the board to unplug the microphone cable.
- You can pull the mic completely off and discard it or neatly tuck the cable away in case you want to reattach it later.
- You can also cover the microphone with a piece of tape. However, this method would not be practical in most instances.
3. Clip the Camera Face Back
- After unplugging the microphone cable, re-clip the camera face.
- Re-clip it, taking care not to cause dents or damage the seam.
Note: The steps to turn your Kasa camera microphone off may be different depending on the model of your Kasa camera and the version of the app you are using.
If All Else Fails, Consult a Professional
In case you encounter difficulties and can’t figure out a way around them, refer to the user manual.
However, if you still cannot switch off the microphone, consider consulting a technician or the Kasa support team for help.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can the Kasa Camera sound be muted?
Kasa cameras do not have the option to mute the sound. However, in the camera’s settings, you can choose whether you want the camera to stop recording sound.
What should I do if the audio from the Kasa camera sounds muffled?
You should ensure there are no devices causing interference, such as Bluetooth speakers, smartphones, or routers. These devices function on the same frequency as security cameras, and their signals may cause disruptions.
In case there are such devices nearby, you should either relocate them or move your camera. You can also turn off the audio recording by accessing the Privacy and Sensitivity on your Kasa Cam app and then selecting “Record Video Only.”
Do Kasa cameras have audio?
Kasa smart security cameras come equipped with Two-Way Audio. You can hear the sounds your camera picks up by downloading the recorded videos to your smartphone. Ensure you have enabled audio recording from the Kasa App Device Settings page.
Why is there no audio in the recordings from your Kasa Cam?
Your Kasa cam may not actively record audio. Therefore, access your device settings, and under the privacy and sensitivity page, choose to record audio and video. Once you’re done, confirm if it now records audio. If it’s still not recording, adjust the media volume of your phone and ensure it is not in silent mode.
Kasa cameras have powerful features to help monitor what’s happening inside and outside your home remotely. You already know that they come equipped with a microphone and a speaker for two-way communications.
As you can see, it is possible to change your camera’s settings to meet various needs. This includes turning off the built-in internal microphone to stop your camera from sending sound along with a live video. Hopefully, the solutions in this article can help you turn off the microphone on a Kasa camera.